Michael Teter wrote:

If my users come to "blahblah.com", then go away, then return, they
get a new session id (for www.blahblah.com).

But if they come to www.blahblah.com, leave, and return (via link from
external site), they keep the same session.

I finally discovered that the browser (Firefox in this case) ends up
with two different session cookies - one for www.blahblah.com and one
for blahblah.com.

this behaviour seems reasonable to me...

What's the right thing to do to solve this?

it doesn't need solving, just accepting :-)

but assuming you want www.blahblah.com and blahblah.com
to behave (session-wise) like one domain, which they aren't,
you could redirect (client-side) from www.blahblah.com
(which IMHO is the redundant/obsolete/legacy domain) to
blahblah.com, which allocates sessions and dishes out cookies.

i.e. www.blahblah.com is a static site which just serves e.g.

  <head>
    <title><%= a.appTitle %>: redirection page</title>
  </head>
    <!-- optional "if you are not redirected..." blurb -->

NB I haven't actually *tried* this :-)

Paul Singleton