> given a change to class file(s), does anyone know a
> hack workaround to
> force tomcat to reload * just those files *.  I know
> about restarting the
> app from the console and context.xml.  but i cannot
> afford to knock users
> off in the middle of their sessions just to reload a
> few minor class files.
I think it's forbidden by the spec.

SRV.3.7 Reloading Considerations
Although a Container Provider implementation of a class reloading
scheme for ease
of development is not required, any such implementation must ensure that all
servlets, and classes that they may use, are loaded in the scope of a
single class
loader. This requirement is needed to guarantee that the application
will behave as expected by the Developer.

> btw, i think bea has this feature.

Previous generations of containers created new class loaders to load a servlet,
distinct from class loaders used to load other servlets or classes
used in the servlet
context. This could cause object references within a servlet context to point at
unexpected classes or objects, and cause unexpected behavior. The requirement is
needed to prevent problems caused by demand generation of new class loaders.

So probably an old BEA weblogic or something, but not if it's confirm with 2.3.

Btw, Java WebServer 2.0 (the sun thing that was reference
implementation before tomcat 3) had this functionality too.