I think this is best solution. Imagine you have class A and class B. B
holds an instance of A. Now you force B to be reloaded. Should A be
reloaded too? What happens with the instance of A in B? Is it
duplicated? C is holding an instance of B, so must C be reloaded (and
all existing objects which refer to B reinstantiated) now?

You don't need to restart the server to get your changes live, you can
force it to reload the whole application, which, in case of tomcat,
your users wouldn't even notice (as long as ALL your beans in session
are serializable).

On the other hand, for "major fixes" on large production systems, you
can't afford to deploy a class and relay on servers reloading
behaviour, you have then a release process with testing and quality
management, so it's not an issue.

regards
Leon

P.S. the JSPs are reloaded intime. If you really "need" to
hot-redeploy your classes, you can patch tomcat and supply your own
classloader policy, using a separate class loader for each and every
servlet / component / class will allow you to reload the classes but
will also lead to abovementioned inconsistences.