Thank You Mark,
My Tomcat server won't even start if the directory server is unreachable.
That means other applications that have not protected are also failing.
Second question: There is no attribute in the Realm definition to give a
name to realm (as per the how-to document. How do I configure different
realms for different applications? What is the default realm name for the
tomcat-users.xml? I want the manager application to run using the default
tomcat-users.xml. Another application is to be protected using JNDI realm. A
third one is public meaning nothing is protected in that application.
 Thanks
-Surya