My webapp needs some application string variables for configuration. For the moment, I hard-code them as class static properties and compiled. But I'd like to know if there's any method to define such variables in a text file, something like the global.asa in ASP where we could simply write something like this withing the application_onstart subroutine:
application("myvar") = "my value"

I like them to be withing text file because if even there's a need to change config, I'd like to just launch a text editor, edit it and start again! I don't want to install Eclipse or other IDE in deployment server just in case we need to change some parameter and have to compile everything. This is very inconvenient, non professional and stupid. And the client would probably not appreciate this.

OK, I know I could write a wrapper function to parse that text file and assign the correct values, but is there a simpler way? Is the answer lying in the "web.xml" file? But its syntax seems quite complicated that I've no idea what to begin.

   TIA