I got Tomcat 3.2.1 to work on Windows ME at home as a hidden process at
startup by adding to the RunService key of the registry.  To keep Tomcat
from interacting with the desktop, you need to adjust tomcat.bat to execute
javaw.exe instead of java.exe.

Another tip, try running the command like this:

c:\windows\command.com /e:2048 /c %TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\tomcat.bat start

This allocates plenty of room in the good old environment space.

Anthony

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.