1) Does your browser have cookies enabled?  If not, you need to rewrite all
your URLs, using HttpServletResponse.encode[Redirect]URL().

2) Are you defining a cookie or URL parameter names "jsessionid"?  That one
is used by Tomcat to keep track of the session, and shouldn't be set by the
servlet.

3) Does HttpSession.getId() keep returning new IDs, and HttpSession.isNew()
keep returning "true" on each call to your servlet?

As for documentation, the servlet spec goes into this stuff.  You can
download it at,

    http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

                                                            -- Bill K.