Thanks to Bill Kaufman and Jan Kester for your suggestions.
Turns out this is a bug in 3.3m2 which has now been fixed (don't
ask why we had to use 3.3m2 rather than 3.2.1).  (Bug#723).

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely
for the addressee(s).
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not
an intended recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the
information contained in the email.
the views of Capco.

http://www.capco.com