All I was saying is that a web front end would be nice.  A good way to create a web
front end with what ever security you want, etc is to use a servlet.  It is possible
to make a servlet do many things one should be to fire off some code such as
"org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat -stop", to start a shutdown.  (Though I have not
attempted the code myself.)  Am I missing something here?

P.S.  I am not attempting to stop/start an NT service.  There are windows mechanisms
to do that, even remote.

Sincerely yours;

Mark Mynsted

VHA Management Information Systems Client Services
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(972) 830 - 0592, Internal x1592

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 5/18/2001 3:08:52 PM >>>

        The problem with this is, how to you restart Tomcat?

        I see two basic choices:
        1.  Use some other package to remotely control the services.  This
has been the methodology used here for 90% of our projects
        2.  Write an application that listens to a port for the
startup/shutdown command.  I did this once and its not to big of a deal (but
I can't give you the source).  The basic structure is:
        Get Server Socket
        Read a command (will block until command sent)
        Process command (some forethought here will make this easy to adapt
to other projects)
        Repeat

        Really, not a lot to it, however if you get smart and start adding
other features (like cleaning up log files while the service is down, doing
multiple services in a particular order) it can get complicated and messy
without forethought.

        Randy