Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that's it.  According to the
Java Servlet Spec. v2.2 (ch. 13, pg 65), servlet-mapping isn't contained
within the servlet element, but is a seperate element.

In my original post I said I couldn't have a web.xml file in my
application.  That was incorrect, I am able to have a web.xml file, but
the servlet mappings in it aren't working.

To clarify, my servlet isn't in a package.

- Erin