give that one a try:

<url-pattern>/story/*</url-pattern>

using SERVERNAME/sampleapp/story

-----Original Message-----
From: Erin Lester [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Dienstag, 26. Juni 2001 16:25
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: web.xml not working

I have created a web application as per the Servlet API specs and deployed
it into the webapps directory of Tomcat in a directory called 'sampleapp.'

The only way that I am able to access the webapp's servlet (which is in
sampleapp/WEB-INF/classes) is by the url
'SERVERADDRESS/sampleapp/servlet/SERVLETNAME' and this is only when I
don't have a web.xml file in the WEB-INF directory.  When I place the
web.xml file that I created (using to the documents on the Sun and
Jakarta sites) I am unable to find my servlet.

The servlet mapping in the web.xml file looks like this:

        <servlet>
                <servlet-name>StoryGeneratorServlet</servlet-name>
                <servlet-class>StoryGenerator</servlet-class>
        </servlet>

        <servlet-mapping>
                <servlet-name>StoryGeneratorServlet</servlet-name>
                <url-pattern>/story</url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>

I tried using the urls 'SERVERNAME/sampleapp/servlet/story' and
'SERVERNAME/sampleapp/story'

I also tried to install the J2EE sample 'petstore' web application but had
problems accessing the servlets with it too.  I am able to get to the jsps
and static files okay.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
Erin

PS - I'm using Tomcat 3.2 with Apache 1.3 on Sun 2.7