Sorry, it was a typo in my email (unfortunately!). I do have the correct
path specified. But thanks for your sharp eyes :).

Do I have to place the servlet.java file in any specific directory to
compile it? I have placed it inside a directory under ROOT, and from dos
prompt made it the current directory and am trying to compile. Is that
correct?

I also tried compiling it in another directory, outside the tomcat
structure, where I usually compile other java projects. But it gives the
same error.

Sheila