On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Calvin Lau wrote:

> Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 14:23:19 -0700
> From: Calvin Lau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Limits on the size of the web.xml file?
>
> My web.xml file worked fine in Tomcat3.2.1 as did the <Context>....</Context> that
> I added to server.xml.  Are there differences in the DTD I'm not aware of?

There are two differences that may or may not be relevant to a particular
web app:

* Tomcat 4 does a *validating* XML parse of the web.xml file, so it will
  choke on things like elements not being in the order required by the
  DTD.  (Normally, though, you get a more intelligible error message than
  this one.  Tomcat 3.x did *not* do a validating parse, so the XML
  checking was not as rigorous.

* Tomcat 4 uses JAXP/1.1 to parse web.xml files, where Tomcat 3.2 uses
  JAXP/1.0.  There might have been changes in what the underlying parsers
  accept.

The web.xml DTD for Servlet 2.3 is a proper superset of the DTD for
Servlet 2.2.  In addition, a 2.3 container (like Tomcat 4) is required to
accept a valid web.xml file based on the Servlet 2.2 or 2.3 DTDs.  But, it
does have to be valid (in the XML sense) for this portability to be
achieved -- Tomcat 3.x didn't require this, so it accepted some incorrect
web.xml files.

Craig