On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Paul Pattison wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 02:34:41 -0500
> From: Paul Pattison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Quick clarification
>
> I'm a little confused and was hoping someone could clear something up for
> me.  I've recently downloaded Tomcat 4.0.1.  I've been using it non-stop for
> the last couple weeks and I love it.
>
> My confusion lies in the fact that I thought that Tomcat was built on top of
> the Apache web server and that when I did the Tomcat 4.0.1 install (which
> was extremely easy), that I had also installed Apache as my web server.  But
> from reading recent posts to this mailing list, it sounds as though I am
> just running Tomcat's web server?  Is this true?  Should I do a separate
> Apache install?

Tomcat includes its own "web server" capabilities.  When you point your
browser at URLs on port 8080, you are talking to Tomcat's internal HTTP
connector, and bypassing Apache or any other web server.

You should only install Apache if you need something it provides that
Tomcat doesn't,  Otherwise, running on Tomcat standalone is perfectly
sufficient.

> If it helps, below is what is output when I start up Tomcat:
>
> Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
> Apache Tomcat/4.0.1
> Starting service Tomcat-Apache
> Apache Tomcat/4.0.1