Howdy.

I found a very useful document that describes in
simple terms how to set up Apache + (n * Tomcat) in
load-balancing fashion.  That may be something to
consider just for flexibility.

I currently have mine configured with only one Tomcat,
so the load balancer isn't doing much for me, but it's
trivial for me to add another internal machine with
Tomcat and share the load.

http://www.ubeans.com/tomcat/index.html

Good luck.

Michael