add this template ${yyyyMM} to your logger filename as timestamp, you
will get monthly logs,

is a SimpleDateFormat check
<http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/api/java/text/SimpleDateForma
t.html> to know what you can do, search the docs for your JVM version to
see what  can be done, you can get weekly logs.. and much more..

> 2)  can I make it so that the servlet logs aren't overwritten
> every time
> I restart tomcat?

Maybe worth add a new attribute setting for that? please post a RFE to
bugzilla for that too, this will remind to add this .. TIA

> 3)  why does tomcat decide to rotate the logs at 1am instead of
> midnight?

You've find a bug , please post it to bugzilla, may be the DST, just
started, is not taken into account.

> 4)  Are there any other attributes to LogSetter? (I only see 5 in the
> doc, with nothing pertaining to rotation)

look at
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/~checkout~/jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/a
pache/tomcat/modules/config/LogSetter.java?rev=1.14&content-type=text/pl
ain> the setters of the logsetter class are the available attributes,
that pertain to the logsetter element in server.xml

Shortly will be possible to use log4j, i think that feature is in CVS
already, and most of this problems will go away, in all or in part.. ;)

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega