I haven't personally verified it, but I think there is
a bug in Tomcat 3.3.x's logger in that the log file is
restarted each day.  If the name doesn't change each day,
then the log file gets overwritten each day until it does
change.  The logger needs to be updated to append rather
that overwrite when the log is restarted.

Ignacio, have you done log rotations longer than daily?
The above is based on code inspection, so I could be
wrong.

Cheers,
Larry

eDateForma
t.html> to know what you can do, search the docs for your JVM version to
see what  can be done, you can get weekly logs.. and much more..

> 2)  can I make it so that the servlet logs aren't overwritten
> every time
> I restart tomcat?

Maybe worth add a new attribute setting for that? please post a RFE to
bugzilla for that too, this will remind to add this .. TIA

> 3)  why does tomcat decide to rotate the logs at 1am instead of
> midnight?

You've find a bug , please post it to bugzilla, may be the DST, just
started, is not taken into account.

> 4)  Are there any other attributes to LogSetter? (I only see 5 in the
> doc, with nothing pertaining to rotation)

look at
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/~checkout~/jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/a
pache/tomcat/modules/config/LogSetter.java?rev=1.14&content-type=text/pl
ain> the setters of the logsetter class are the available attributes,
that pertain to the logsetter element in server.xml

Shortly will be possible to use log4j, i think that feature is in CVS
already, and most of this problems will go away, in all or in part.. ;)

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega