From: Chris Pheby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 1:50 PM
Subject: RE: Tomcat 4 + PHP + CGI

> Hi James, you can get a working binary with mod_webapp in the Tomcat 4.0.1
> distribution. This works with release 4.0.4 beta 1 onwards, but was broken
> in 4.0.3.
>
> This is a documented and tested installation that I have carried out here,
> at home, and on a production server.
>

> Regards,
>

> Chris.

Take
> > care to install Tomcat as a Service when offered the option by the
> > installer.
> >
> > Set the following environment variables:
> >
> > JAVA_HOME - c:\Progra~1\Java\J2SE
> > CATALINA_HOME - c:\Progra~1\Java\Tomcat
> > Integrate Tomcat and Apache
> > Stop the Tomcat and Apache services. Then download mod_webapp from
> > jakarta.apache.org. Extract libapr.dll to c:\winnt\system32. Also
extract
> > libapr.dll and mod_webapp.so to c:\server\apache\modules.
> >
> > Add the following lines to httpd.conf:
> >
> > LoadModule webapp_module modules/mod_webapp.so
> > AddModule mod_webapp.c
> > You need to configure a connector in httpd.conf (examples shown for the
> > modules you can export initially - remove the comments to enable them):
> >
> > <IfModule mod_webapp.c>
> > WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
> > WebAppInfo /webapp-info
> > #WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples
> > #WebAppDeploy webdav warpConnection /webdav
> > </IfModule>
> > Before restarting Apache download Service+ from ActivePlus and use it to
> set
> > Apache as depending on Tomcat. Then restart Apache (Tomcat will restart
> > automatically).
> >
> > If you want Tomcat to automatically reload classes when they change, you
> > must edit the server.xml file in c:\program files\tomcat\conf.
> >
> > To do so, add a default context to the main service element. To do so,
> find
> > the comment that read:
> >
> > <!-- Define properties for each web application. This is only needed if
> you
> > want to set non-default properties, or have web application document
roots
> > in places other than the virtual host's appBase directory. -->
> > and insert the following line just below it:
> >
> > <DefaultContext reloadable="true"/>
> > Then restart Tomcat.
> >
> > Install JDBC Driver for MySQL
> > Download the MySQL JDBC driver.
> >
> > Open the file (mm.mysql-2.0.11-you-must-unjar-me.jar) in WinZip and
> extract
> > mm.mysql-2.0.11-bin.jar and place it in c:\program
> > files\java\j2se\jre\lib\ext. It will now be automatically available to
> Java
> > programs, without needing to add it to the classpath.
> >
> > Install Mozilla Plugin
> > Copy the np* files from C:\Program Files\Java\J2SE\jre\bin to C:\Program
> > Files\Mozilla\Plugins.
> >
> > Restart Mozilla
> >
> > Install NetBeans
> > Install NetBeans to c:\Program Files\Java\NetBeans. The installer will
> > automatically detect the JDK.
> >
> > Netbeans can debug Tomcat, if you want to enable this first remove the
> > existing Tomcat Service:
> >
> > net stop "Apache Tomcat"
> > c:\progra~1\java\tomcat\bin\tomcat.exe -uninstall "Apache Tomcat"
> >
> > Tomcat.exe -install "Apache Tomcat"

c:\progra~1\java\j2se\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll -Djava.class.path=c:\progra~1\j

ava\tomcat\bin\bootstrap.jar;c:\progra~1\java\tomcat\bin\servlet.jar;C:\Prog

ra~1\Java\J2SE\lib\tools.jar -Xint -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_

socket,server=y,address=12999,suspend=n -Dcatalina.home=c:\progra~1\java\tom
> > cat\ -start org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params start -stop
> > org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params stop -out
> > c:\progra~1\java\tomcat\logs\stdout.log -err
> > c:\progra~1\java\tomcat\logs\stderr.log
> > Make the service depend on MySQL as before
> >
> > Once Tomcat has been restarted go to Netbeans, and select the Debug /
> Attach
> > menu. Seelect JPDA as the Debugger Type, Socket Attach, the hostname of
> the
> > machine Tomcat is on, and 12999 as the port. It is now possible to debug
> the
> > running Tomcat server.
> >
> > To assist debugging mount the Tomcat Sources in the Netbeans explorer:
> >
> > C:\Program Files\Java\J2SE\src
> > C:\Program Files\Java\Tomcat\src\catalina\src\share
> > C:\Program Files\Java\Tomcat\src\catalina\src\test
> > C:\Program Files\Java\Tomcat\src\jasper\src\share

--- Begin Message ---
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently setup a intranet site on an NT 4.0 box using Apache 1.3.23
> combined with Tomcat 4.0.3.  To integrate them together I'm using the warp
> connector and the mod_webapp module...

Forget it... It doesn't work under Windows...

> If it is thought that this is a bug maybe I'll take a look at the source code
> for mod_webapp and see if I can see anything wrong.  Does anynone have any
> ideas where to start and any information on how to get a build up and running
> on NT?

You need to synchronize the calls to the socket, as Apache 1.3 is
multi-process under UNIX (that's why it works), but multi-threaded under
windows (that's why it doesn't)...

In the pr_warp....c files you should really create a pool of socket used to
connect to the server when you're running in a multi-threaded environment...
All the rest of the code should be fairly fully reentrant...

(all your problems come up when you have more than one request getting into
tomcat at the same time).

As I don't have access to a windosh box anymore (thanks god I got rid of the
last one), I don't really care much... And since nobody pays me anymore to
fix those, well, it works for me :)

    Pier (back on fixing Apache 2.0/worker under OS/X!)

BTW, folks, it's already hard to follow developers discussions without
getting crummed up in bug reports and CVS logs...

Can we avoid to keep USER related questions under this list (for people like
me just tracking down development, and not really caring about much else,
that gets really hard)... That's why we have the "USER" list... Simple
response as above....