Did someone find a solution ? We are stuck on the same problem.

In fact, the problem is not really that the getRemoteUser() returns an empty string
instead of a null string : Normally, when a user is already authenticated but is
trying to access to a ressource for which he is not in a valid role, the server should
open the login box a second time ; so even if getRemoteUser() returns "" and that
Tomcat considers it's the user name, it should open the login box and not send a 403
error code.

In fact, when I test the same web application on Tomcat 3.3, it works (I mean I can
identify myself on the login box) but with Tomcat 4 it directly rejects me...

Every piece of info would help...
Regards.