On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Anthony W. Marino wrote:

> The example for "mod_jk2" shows a worker's config for "AJP13" but I thought
> that "jk2" is "AJP14"?

Well, there is a lot of confusion ( and I'm talking about those of us who
are working on the connector !). We used to call 'ajp13' 3 things:
- a wire protocol
- an API
- an 'worker'

There is even more confusion in the term 'worker', but that's a different
story.

mod_jk(1,2) are all supporting multiple protocols and multiple APIs.
By protocol I mean the wire format, how the strings, ints, etc are
marshalled and packed. For example we support 'ajp12' - the protocol
that is used in mod_jserv, and we support what is called 'ajp13',
an extension that is bidirectional and more efficient. There is also
JNI - but that's a special case.

We also support a couple of 'APIs' - i.e. 'methods' that are called
on the server and container ( looking at mod_jk as a basic RPC
mechanism ). We call 'ajp13' the API that is normally used with
tomcat ( all versions ).

We decided ( I hope ) that the protocol is good enough - I can see
no major improvement that would justify changing it. If we change,
I hope we'll just switch to (subset of ) CDR or XDR (i.e. standard
formats) - but that may affect the performance and add unneeded
complexity.

mod_jk2 will support additional APIs - i.e. things like autoconfiguration,
md5-handshaking, etc.

The focus so far has been in refactoring the core to make it more
flexible and cleanup the configuration - in order to better support
the new features without messing the code.

If you are interested in more discussions - I would sugest joining
tomcat-dev. Mod_jk2 is not yet ready - but it will be ready much
sooner with your help :-)

Costin