On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Simon Stewart wrote:

> The workers can be called anything you want them to be (for example, I
> use "tomcat1") What tends to happen is that people take their
> (working) apache 1.3.x + mod_jk combo and use the same config files
> with apache 2.x and mod_jk2.

Well... I was thinking of ways to disable this 'feature'...
Some feedback on this would be great.

First, I am hoping to slowly deprecate the configuration
in terms of 'workers'.

What you should configure is channels. The names can be
anything, but URL-style constructors are much cleaner
( and may become 'required' ).

Example:

channel.socket:localhost:8009
channel.apr:${server_home}/work/unix.socket
channel.jni:

Each channel will be associated with a worker automatically,
using ajp13:localhost:8009, etc.

In addition, now all channels are automatically added to
the default worker ( which is now the 'lb' worker ).
So if you define one or many channels, and set the
worker to lb ( without any other special configuration )
you'll get everything working (I hope ) easier.

Going through the lb has a minimal overhead, but greatly
simplify things and enables many other things.

There is a second change ( not yet implemented, but
high on the list ) in the 'lb' configuration. Instead
 of 'workers' we can use 'groups' and 'instances'.

An 'instance' ( the name is not yet clear ) is a VM running
tomcat ( coresponds to the jvmRoute - used for sessions ).
A 'group' is an lb worker forwarding to multiple tomcats.

What I would recommend for configuration is mapping all
webapps to a 'group' ( even if you have a single tomcat
instance ). If you later add more tomcats you'll have
minimal changes ( hopefully - none !).

There are 2 major advanced use cases:
- a pool of tomcats running the same apps. That'll
be the easiest to configure, the default (lb) worker
will just do that.

- different pools of tomcats, each with different
apps. That's where groups can help.

The goal is of course to have the minimal ammount of
work - the worker and lb configuration can be greatly
automated ( we're trying to get each tomcat to
register automatically when it starts with jk ).

What do you think ? The last part is still work in
progress, and all of this would benefit a lot from
your feedback.

Costin