From: Tevfik Aytekin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: martedė 30 aprile 2002 14.32
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: port 80 !!??

Hi,
I suppose this question should have been answered, but I could not find
a satisfactory answer in the archives. Isn't it possible to run tomcat
as standalone on port 80 with a user other then root. Apache server
manages to do this. But as far as I can see tomcat can not. I wonder
why? Can someone answer? This ability of tomcat would have been great
since we did not need neither apache nor mod_jk, etc. Also since apache
and mod_jk are written in C it troubles many people to get them run on
different platforms. So I do not understand why tomcat do not have the
ability run on port 80 with a user other than root.

Thanks in advance.
TA.