"Tevfik Aytekin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> But apache server can manage to bind to port 80 with another user.
> What I am asking is why tomcat can not do this. Is it becasue it is
> written in Java?

Apache doesn't (and can't) do this, as far as I know.  I've never seen
it do this, anyway.

Apache can end up running as non-root, but if it's listening on port
80, then it started running as root and then dropped root privilege
after establishing the listening socket.

That kind of thing may not be easy to do in Java, I don't know.

[...]

--
Bruce Stephens                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ACI Worldwide/MessagingDirect   <URL:http://www.MessagingDirect.com/>