simple and dirty, you've probably tried it already-
fire up a browser with localhost:8080 as the URL (making sure tomcat isn't
running) and if IIS or any other server is running, some sort of default
page should tell you what the server is.

then you can kill it, (permanently if it's IIS ;))
a.

Alan Eustace
CHI Project
Digital Media Centre