Here's what I would do , granted I don`t have much windows experience but a
couple things I `d try.  If you can see the servlets, it may not be a port
problem. Are you running through an http server such as apache ?
    I would think just maybe you have the runtime engine set as JAVA_HOME
not the JSDK. The best way to approach is one change at a time.

1) Is it running as a service ? If so disable that so you can start and stop
it yourself.
 2) With tomcat stopped, does anything display on http://localhost:8080 ?
3) Change TOMCAT_HOME to CATALINA_HOME (may solve ), CATALINA_HOME should be
the base installation directory (example c:\tomcat )
4) make sure JAVA_HOME is set to java base dir (C:\j2sdk1.4.0-rc)
5) does it work ?
6) C:\tomcat\bin\shutdown.bat  ( if not)
7) Open Server.xml in a text editor,
look for:

   <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->
               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="60000"/>
    <!-- Note : To disable connection timeouts, set connectionTimeout value
     to -1 -->
Change the port to say 9090

8) C:\tomcat\bin\startup.bat
9) try http://localhost:9090 or http://127.0.0.1:9090