If you are using Tomcat 4.x.x, you need to set the CATALINA_HOME
environment variable, not the TOMCAT_HOME and if your install path has
space in it, make sure to remove the spaces.  For example:

CATALINA_HOME=C:\Progra~1\Apache~1\Jakarta\tomcat-4-nightly-20020404

Also, I can't remember if this is necessary or not, but you might need the
jdk's tools.jar in your classpath.  My CLASSPATH variable looks like:

CLASSPATH=.;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar

Also, make sure you add the following to your PATH variable:

%JAVA_HOME%\bin;

That make sure that when java or javac are called, it isn't Microsoft's VM
since, by default, the WINNT and WINNT\system32 directories are part of the
PATH and if Microsoft's VM exists there, the java that will be running
Tomcat will be Microsoft's.

Also, try setting Tomcat up a service like this:

Install Catalina Service:

%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat.exe -install Apache-Catalina
%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
-Djava.class.path=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar
-Dcatalina.home=%CATALINA_HOME% %CATALINA_OPTS% -Xrs -start
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params start -stop
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params stop -out
%CATALINA_HOME%\logs\stdout.log -err %CATALINA_HOME%\logs\stderr.log

Uninstall Catalina Service:

%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat.exe -uninstall Apache-Catalina

Just copy and paste the above to the command line to install and uninstall
Tomcat as a service.

Hopefully that should get you going.

Jake