The symptom you describe is easily achievable.  The main
point is that additionalJars adds jars to multiple webapps
the same as if you copied jdom.jar to each WEB-INF/lib.
You could try putting jdom.jar in your "test" webapp's
WEB-INF/lib, remove the additionalJars, and see if the error
still occurs.

I would not be surprised if it did.  If a servlet depends on
another class that in turn depends on jdom.jar classes, and
that class lives below the webapp classloader, then you
might see the symptom you describe.  The class in the lower
classloader can't see the classes in the webapp classloader
unless special programming is implemented to make it possible,
such as using the thread context classloader.

Cheers,
Larry