Are you using tomcat 4.0.3 _ jdk1.4 on Solaris?

If so, there is a bug with sun.tools.javac.Main that hits performance
and jsp page compilation.

In general, JSP tag performance is slower than pages with scriplets. In
the last 2 months there have been patches and changes to jasper which
improve the performance. The are several known issues with JSP Tag
performance.

1. pages with lots of tags (50+) do not perform well under load
2. pages with 100+ tags may not compile due to 64K per method limitation
in Java. This particular issue is currently being address by a couple
developers and should be fixed in 4.1.x.
3. deeply nested try/catch statements result in rapid performance
degredation under load

There are a couple things that will improve the situation. When tomcat
4.0.4 comes out, it has a recent patch which fixes deeply nested
try/catch. Also, tomcat 4.0.4 has a new httpconnector called coyote.
Together the performance improves dramatically such that the number of
concurrent requests triples. Also, the response time improves
significantly. If you're page still performs poorly, try breaking it up
into include files and use action include instead of include directive.
I.e use <c:import> or <jsp:include>, instead of <%@ include %>. I hope
that helps.

peter