I am new to Tomcat and new to JDK. So please be gentle with me ...

I installed JDK 1.3.1 on an NT server.
I then installed Tomcat on the same server.

Following the information in the document tomcat-ug.html, I
set JAVA_HOME=c:/jdk1.3.1
set PATH=%JAVA_HOME%\BIN;%path%

Then, through a DOS window I issued the command
bin\startup

Another window opened and Tomcat appeared to start -- at least, according to
the task manager it started.

Now, comes the question setup. When I launch my browser (IE 5.x) and point
it at http://localhost:8080 <http://localhost:8080>  I get a DNS error page.

And the questions are
Is there a better documentation document?
How do I capture logs so I can get a better idea what is happening?
Are there other configurations I need to do?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Michael Eldridge
Team Leader
E-Business Services