Do you know how to set your environmental variables on XP?  If not, go to
Start, Settings, Control Panel (in classic view), System, Advanced (tab),
Environmental Variables (button), where you will see lots of neat stuff
that is fairly intuitive.  If you don't have the paths set, set them.  You
will need, for example,

ANT_HOME    c:\ant
CATALINA_HOME c:\tomcat
CLASSPATH c:\jdk;c:\tomcat;c:\junit or whatever
JAVA_HOME c:\jdk
PATH %JAVA_HOME%\bin;%ANT_HOME%\bin or whatever.

If you want to create a new system variable, hit "New".  If you want to
edit an old one, hit "Edit".  Probably should avoid "Delete" for the time
being.  If you want to hard code these values in configurations of your
application, that is something different.  That is possible too.  But, I
think this is your easiest start.  I recommend you read something like
second chapter of Component Development for the Java Platform, by Stuart
Dabbs Halloway to get acquainted with what this all really is doing.

There is a paucity of literature on the subject.

Lesson One: Saying what platform you are working on helps people who really
would like to help you if you don't make it too hard to help.  Sorry if
that sounds too smug, but you seem not to be into helping us help
you.  Hope this did.  Have fun!

Micael