I don't think web services require EJBs be used :-)  I haven't fooled
around with them though.  From what I recall having read, you can do web
services using Tomcat.  What I read, and where, I do not recall
precisely.  The "impression I have left upon my mind" is that it is
possible to do web services under TC.  Search, read, and educate
yourself about web services.  One particular point of interest:  Sun has
the web services developer pack, and I believe Apache (Jakarta) has a
similar project.  ... now, if only I could remember where I got that
from so I could come up with the name.

If you feel you must use EJBs, JBoss is most likely the direction you
want to go.  If you can do what you want without EJBs, you don't need
JBoss.  That is my understanding -- I am far from authoritative on
anything having to do with EJBs.

Regards,

Eddie