It would be great to have a website with all the documentation.... and I
would love to help building this website...

regards,
Alex

Robert L Sowders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
30/09/2002 04:01 p.m.
Please respond to Tomcat Users List

        To:     Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:
        Subject:        Documentation

Since most of the questions to tomcat-users list concern installation and
configuration issues it demonstrates that there is a real need for Tomcat
to have a "documentation project" that it's users can contribute to. Right

now most of the documentation consists of the xdocs which are pretty good,

but can be so much more.  The developers obviously have little time to
maintain the present documentation and there is such an apparent need that

I wonder why a project for the documentation has not been started.

There are many "doc-projects" out there to emulate.  I especially like the

one that the apache folks have running, the new xml documentation for
Apache 2.0 is probably the best I've seen.

I'm sure that many people would be willing to devote some time to
organizing and maintaining input from the community into a resource that
would benefit everyone.  I for one would be willing to contribute, but
right now there is nothing an nowhere to submit to.

Should the developers of Tomcat initiate a project for the documentation?
Or should we?  The Apache folks seem to have solved this issue, it remains

to be solved for Tomcat.

Have a look at some examples of opensouce projects which have solved their

documentation problems:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/
http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/
http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp