I keep getting these parsing exceptions when I try to load my custom
taglibs (from JAR files) on Tomcat 4.0.3, 4.0.5, 4.1 on Windows 2000/XP.

> Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
> Apache Tomcat/4.0.3
> PARSE error at line 1 column -1
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Character conversion error: "Malformed UTF-8 char
>  -- is an XML encoding declaration missing?" (line number may be too low).
> PARSE error at line 1 column -1
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Character conversion error: "Malformed UTF-8 char
>  -- is an XML encoding declaration missing?" (line number may be too low).
> PARSE error at line 1 column -1
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Character conversion error: "Malformed UTF-8 char
>  -- is an XML encoding declaration missing?" (line number may be too low).
> PARSE error at line 1 column -1
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Character conversion error: "Malformed UTF-8 char
>  -- is an XML encoding declaration missing?" (line number may be too low).
> PARSE error at line 1 column -1
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Character conversion error: "Malformed UTF-8 char
>  -- is an XML encoding declaration missing?" (line number may be too low).
> PARSE error at line 1 column -1
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Character conversion error: "Malformed UTF-8 char
>  -- is an XML encoding declaration missing?" (line number may be too low).
> No tags
> No tags

I know this is coming from some parsing error when the tld is parsed.
But even if I put the tld file into different encodings (ISO-8859-1). I
still get the exceptions.

example tld header:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE taglib PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD JSP Tag Library
1.2//EN"
         "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-jsptaglibrary_1_2.dtd";>
<taglib>

-Mark Diggory