> This doesn't seem to happen with the standard.jar and I'm totally
> copying its layout and the version information at the beginning of the
> file accept for the encoding being UTF-8 instead of ISO...

Well, I notice that the standard jar also stores the files under thier
own names and not /meta-inf/taglib.tld. I would suspect this is why this
error doesn't show up with the standard taglib, and probibly with any of
the other taglibraries at Jakarta as well, because they all do not use
the /meta-inf/taglib.tld convention outlined in the JSP specification.
They all bank on the new clauses which say you can put the taglib under
any name in the /meta-inf/ as long as it has a tld. extension. But I bet
this particular clause isn't tested in Jasper/Tomcat yet?  Plus I notice
that the jakarta taglibs also reley on the the tld being in the WEB-INF
instead of in the Jar. The one in the Jar is never really getting used!
The one in WEB-INF is getting loaded. I bet this is a bug. It smells
like a bug to me...