This is the way Tomcat 4.x.x is made to work.  The reason for this is
security.  I think it can be assumed that you were under https for a
reason.  Maybe you entered your cedit card info and are storing that in the
session until the final submit.  Now, if you stayed in the same session
when moving to http from https, your session id is in plain text.  This can
be hijacked by anyone sniffing network packets.  Once they have your
session id, theoreticaly, they have full access to everything you entered
in that session including your credit card info.  This is a *huge* security
issue and Tomcat.  Even if Tomcat-3.3.x allows you to do this, you would be
wise to dump the session on your own before moving to http for your users'
security.

Obviously, this requires that you rethink some of your application flow,
but Tomcat-4.x.x is doing the right thing here.

Jake