ok, I see your point.
My approach is that I only use https to scramble the login request itself,
so that a login password cannot be read,or sniffed, in clear text(it
probably still can, if someone really, really tries). Nothing critical is
stored in the http session itself.
A lot of websites do something similar, where only the password part is
secure, and subsequent pages are insecure. and to change password, the old
one has to be entered. I guess I'm a bit of a loss for a better way to do
this?? Any well known approaches out there?

-Henrik