Well, you're on x86, there's a very good chance that sunfreeware.com doesn't
have all of the packages on x86 that they do for SPARC, so you might be
stuck with using tools direct from GNU.

I don't know how the Solaris linker works, I have to admit I was crossing my
fingers and praying to various deities when I was building JK and JK2 on
Solaris.  I'd say my success was easily 50% (or more) dumb luck...I've spent
way more time on Linux and AIX (back in the day, pre 4.3) than I have
Solaris.

Are you tied to Solaris?  If you're on x86, you'd be a whole lot better off
with Linux.  I'm not criticizing, just observing.

John