Must be a Solaris 7 deal...once I got the requisite packages installed on
Solaris 8, I did OK.  For the archives:

Sun Solaris 8 Developer Install, Initial
Sun Solaris 8_Recommended patch cluster
Everything listed here: http://www.sugoi.org/bits/index.php?bit_id=12
OpenSSL and OpenSSH
JDK

and the following from sunfreeware.com:

autoconf
automake
binutils
gcc (I used version 2.95.3)
glib
gzip
libtool
make
tar
wget
zlib

That was what it took to make my Solaris 8 box happy with GNU-oriented
builds.  Previously, I kept getting errors that said "C Compile is unable to
generate executables" which didn't make much sense.  After installing all of
the above, that problem went away and I was able to do the builds.

John