Most of the stuff in server.xml is explanation/documentation and optional.

Minimum Context:  <Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0"/>

Simple Context:  <Context path="/examples" docBase="examples" debug="0"
                 reloadable="true" crossContext="true" />

More involved Context: the Examples Context in server.xml.

Are we looking at the same docs?  There's all sorts of stuff in there, like
this from the Configuration reference:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/context.html

John