Howdy,
As an aside, and this applies for windows as well as linux/solaris: -Xms
and -Xmx control the size of the JVM heap.  That's not the total JVM
size.  There are other spaces, e.g. the stack, symbol tables, and OS
process overhead, that contribute to the overall process size.

How much they contribute depends on the OS version, JDK version, and
other things, and is very difficult to predict precisely.  You can
measure it at any given point by comparing the output from an OS-level
top (e.g. top on linux, or the task manager in windows) to the output of
Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory().  You will always see a difference.

So if you're basing your assertion that -Xmx is ignored on the output of
an OS-level tool, please rethink your assertion in light of the above.
If you're basing it on the actual Runtime.totalMemory() output, then you
are correct in saying you likely did not install tomcat correctly.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

Our
>experience has been that when we run it manually it seems to stay
within
>the
>bounds, but when running as a service it seems to go beyond them. So
>perhaps
>we're not installing the service correctly...
>
>Christian
>Christian Cryder [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>Internet Architect, ATMReports.com
>Barracuda - http://barracudamvc.org
>"Coffee? I could quit anytime, just not today"

Is