From: Christian Cryder [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 12:27 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Tomcat 4.1 ignoring -Xmx params

> As an aside, and this applies for windows as well as linux/solaris: -Xms
> and -Xmx control the size of the JVM heap.  That's not the total JVM
> size.  There are other spaces, e.g. the stack, symbol tables, and OS
> process overhead, that contribute to the overall process size.
>
> How much they contribute depends on the OS version, JDK version, and
> other things, and is very difficult to predict precisely.  You can
> measure it at any given point by comparing the output from an OS-level
> top (e.g. top on linux, or the task manager in windows) to the output of
> Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory().  You will always see a difference.

Excellent point, and one I had considered.

> So if you're basing your assertion that -Xmx is ignored on the output of
> an OS-level tool, please rethink your assertion in light of the above.

Ok, so this _is_ what I'm basing it on (looking at MS's Task manager).
BUT...it still doesn't seem reasonable that the actual memory used is 150 MB
> than the limit specified to the JVM. In other words, if I tell the JVM
"-Xmx512" and the OS Task Mgr is reporting that Tomcat is using 670 MB,
doesn't this seem like more than just an overhead issue?

I'm perfectly content if that is in fact the answer, I'm just trying to
confirm whether or not we have a problem.

Any suggestions?

tia,
Christian
Christian Cryder [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Internet Architect, ATMReports.com
Barracuda - http://barracudamvc.org
"Coffee? I could quit anytime, just not today"