I've discovered that this problem is related to a 90-minute timeout on our
firewall.  Tomcat sits outside of the firewall, and Oracle resides inside.
Since there's no activity for 90 minutes, it closes the connection.  Anyone
know of a workaround (+ sample code) for this?  I'm assuming a ping of some
sort using the database connection pool would work.

Thanks,

Matt