I've tried adding the following and I still have the same problem as Ryan.
        <parameter>
            <name>validationQuery</name>
            <value>SELECT 1 FROM DUAL</value>
        </parameter>

When I check my 4.1.18 Tomcat server every morning I get:

WARN [Ajp13Processor[11009][7]] JDBCExceptionReporter.logExceptions(35) |
SQL Error: 0, SQLState: null
ERROR [Ajp13Processor[11009][7]] JDBCExceptionReporter.logExceptions(42) |
Cannot load JDBC driver class 'null'
WARN [Ajp13Processor[11009][7]] SessionFactoryImpl.<init>(163) | Could not
obtain connection metadata
java.sql.SQLException: Cannot load JDBC driver class 'null'
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.jav
a:529)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:3
12)
        at
cirrus.hibernate.connection.DatasourceConnectionProvider.getConnection(Datas
ourceConnectionProvider.java:56)

Could this be from closing connections in a finally block?  This should just
return them to the pool right?

Thanks,

Matt