The most likely reason it fails is that you already have Apache running on
port 80.  Only one application on the box can bind to port 80.  You have to
stop Apache first.

After that, it is pretty much:
  sudo $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.sh

If you are running 3.3.1 stand-alone, you might want to look into using the
CoyoteConnector (which is part of 3.3.2-dev).  It perfoms much better than
the Http10Connector in most cases.  The best way is to grab the nightly for
3.3, and follow the directions at
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/coyote/release/v1
.0-rc2/ (The rc2 release is known to be broken for 3.3, so don't grab the
jars from here).

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> What do I have to do to get Tomcat 3.3.1 to run with port 80?  I modified
server.xml to alter the port number, and it now fails with lack of
permission on port 80.  The Redhad doc for Apache says it must be started by
root for this to work, but I start it as root and it still fails.