Ok, thanks.  Changing TOMCAT_USER in tomcat3.conf to 'root' did the trick, eventually.
 I had errors in several chown commands during the setup for start.  I just commented
them out, since there shouldn't be any need for a root user to access files, right?

Anyway, it's running now, on port 80 and I can move on

Again, thanks!

Regards,
Terry Fuller
[EMAIL PROTECTED]