The Professional Apache Tomcat book is a good foundation how Tomcat works
but it is intended for more of a sys-admin type than a developer.  I
thought it was pretty good on that aspect.  Not many books cater to the
poor admins who could really care less about the inner workings of
someones tag library.

Various servlet and Struts books can help you with the java.

This list is a good place to learn.  It is the only source you will find
that is up to date.  By the time somebody gets around to writing a book
and it gets published it's already out of date.

-e