"M. Sean Gilligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hi,

>>"M. Sean Gilligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>>I took a good look at the JndiDataSourceFactory and this patch just
>>plasters over

>What are the consequences of a patch that just "plasters over"?

That one just made sure that the config loop was not run when the
object was empty. The deeper problem is, that the loop _should_ be run
when it is empty, but should have no effect (which it had, because
after the loop, but inside the if (c == null) statement, the
datasource was blindingly initialized.

I cleaned the code to make sure that this does not happen. "Plastering
over" in my personal speaking means that you simply add "if (xxx ==
null)" or "if (foo.isEmpty())" tests to a code logic without solving
the inherent problems with the control flow. In this case, it was
possible to add a null DataSource object which is a bad thing in
itself. And it does not matter, _how_ we got there but that the
program logic allows it.

>>(there is also a good NPE chance in there)

>I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the acronym NPE, what does "NPE" mean?

NullPointerException. :-)

>>I would prefer having you test the TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH HEAD by doing
>>
>>cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/cvspublic checkout -r
>>TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH db-torque
>>
>>and compiling it,

>I did this and it fixed the problem, but...

>> but if you are stuck to a released version due to QA
>>reasons, simply take the released 3.1.1 version and replace the
>>JndiDataSourceFactory.java file.

>I really do want to use a QA'ed release for my alpha/beta/production release,
>so I also tried copying JndiDataSourceFactory.java into the 3.1.1 directory
>tree and am unable to do a build:

Yep, now that you say it: You will probably need all the contents of
the dsfactory package because the inheritance of the DataSource
factories changed.

For a released version, I do plan to put out 3.1.2 early next year
(which means probably around end of January), depending on how much
issues will crop up and what the other developers think.

[...]

>Any suggestions on what to do with the 3.1.1 tree?  I'm going to try the
>"plasters over" patch for now...

I didn't mean to use "plaster over" as a derogatory term. I was just
stating a fact. Sorry if you felt offended.

        Regards
                Henning

[EMAIL PROTECTED]        +49 9131 50 654 0   http://www.intermeta.de/

What is more important to you...