2009/9/1 Steve Borho <st...@borho.org>

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Peer
> Sommerlund<p...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> > I find the current toolbar an improvement over the drop down, but still a
> > bit confusing. Maybe we should make a new design for the toolbar, and
> then
> > modify the filters to match this new design.
>
> Sure, what did you have in mind?

Well, I don't quite have all the details yet. Some of this may be a bit too
far off:

The filter drop down should be moved to the left (see attachment), with
entries
Rev Range (0:tip = all, the field should allow decimal, hash, tags,
branches)
New since dialog start
Tags (regexp for tag, blank = all)
Heads (branch, blank=all)
Merges (branch, blank=all)
Ancestry of (default is tip)
File Patterns
Keywords
Date

I haven't included "parents". What is the use case for it? This information
is also visible in the info panel to the bottom right.

Filter values should be unique for each filter. They should be persistent,
or at least remembered within one session of a dialog.

I haven't put a label on the filter value field. My idea was to default in
filter "Rev Range", value "0:tip" - to give a clue to what the purpose is.
As it would change when you changed filter (and preserve the value you
entered) you would quickly discover that the two were related. A tool-tip
saying "filter value".  You could also add label "filter value", but if you
did so, you should also put a small space before the label, say 8 pixels.

If a filter generated a non-continuous range of revisions, then the graph
algorithm should show it. If a head is hidden, but its parent is not, then
half a line could be shown to the parent. The other end could be one step
right, or to the far right.

The graph should be a column like any other column. This means it should
always be possible to show the graph, no matter which view/filter is used.

It could even be made interactive, so one clicked on a branch and expanded
or collapsed it. There could be features to expand/collapse
ancestors/descendants within say 100 generations. It should be possible to
select a number of revisions and find common ancestors, or do bisect.

Regards,
Peer