On 02.09.2009 10:21, Peer Sommerlund wrote:
> 2009/9/2 Adrian Buehlmann <adr...@cadifra.com <mailto:adr...@cadifra.com>>
>
>     On 02.09.2009 09:43, Peer Sommerlund wrote:
>     > I haven't included "parents". What is the use case for it?
>
>     Well, I for one *am* using "parents" and think it's useful.
>
>     It quickly shows the parent revision(s) of the _working_directory_.
>
> Thanks for clearing that up. I see the usage of it now.
>
> Maybe the title for the filter shoud be "work dir parents"?

Would be more precise, but a bit long, unfortunately. Maybe using
tool tips instead and keep "parents"?

> Maybe all the filters that accept revision should accept a virtual tag
> "workdir" which corresponds to the non-commited changeset in workdir.

There is no such changeset -- by definition. But I think I see
what you mean.

We have modified, added, removed files, branch name, etc. But some info
is missing, like the change message or the time stamp. And the hash, obviously.

BTW, I have been thinking for a long time already about somehow
being able to enter a change message long *before* I commit. Mercurial
best should then present me this pre-entered message on hg ci.
This could also help telling me what exactly I was up to on
a specific clone (given the proliferation of clones in hg -- which
I really like -- I sometimes forget what I was trying to do in
a specific clone. Or in its working directory, actually).

Conceptually, this should be a property of the working dir.
If we were allowed to change the file '.hg/dirstate' I would
store it there... (implementation-wise). Or in '.hg/message' alternatively.

But maybe someone even has already done that in an extension (there are
just soo many of them...)

If not, someone could create it under the name 'message' extension :)

> This would resolve to one or two revisions (the parents of workdir)

Um. But, the "parent changesets of the working directory" is not the
same as the "virtual uncomitted changeset I'm working on in the
working directory".

> Workdir parents could also be shown at all times as tags "parent1" and
> "parent2".

I think the "virtual tag" for first parent of the working dir
in mercurial is "." (see 'hg help revisions' or
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/hg.1.html#revisions )

Which is somewhat confusing as well, comparing this to CWD of the shell --
maybe it should be ".." instead... :)

$ hg log -r ..
abort: unknown revision '..'!

(parentrevspec extension to the rescue...)

> A similar virtual tag could be made for the tip at dialog start, named
> "dialogstart" or "oldtip" or something.

Not sure I understand that. You mean, this could be useful for after
a pull or something?

Sounds a bit arcane, but maybe I don't exactly grasp what you mean.

> These virtual tags could be used to reduce the number of filters.

Problem I see: additional "virtual tags" could be confusing, if they
don't work with plain 'hg' on the command line.

>     > This
>     > information is also visible in the info panel to the bottom right.
>
>     [cut]
>     Or are you confusing the parents of the working dir with the
>     parents of the currently selected revision?
>

> Yes, this is my mistake.

Ok. No problem.