On 01.12.2009 00:04, Steve Borho wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Sune Foldager <sune.folda...@me.com> wrote:
>> Steve Borho wrote:

>>> It is more natural on top of the file list, especially now that the
>>> column headers are hidden.
>> I agree. While we're at it, IMO using a checkbox is not ideal since
>> there is nothing special about the first parent vs. the second parent
>> diff in most cases, so maybe a radio button instead?
>>
>> Diff again which parent? ( ) first ( ) second.
>>
>> or something similar?
>
> Indeed.

Horizontal layout of radio buttons is not recommended:

As such I would lean towards keeping it as is (checkbox) in this particular
case we have here. The single checkbox also uses lesser space, compared
to two horizontal radio buttons.

If it were in a dialog box with enough vertical space, then I would prefer
using radio buttons. But then, the radio buttons would have to be laid out
vertically.

As such the filter bar is setting a somewhat bad precedent here
(although it is not directly comparable, given the more than
two choices the user has there).

See also http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20040927.html, point 6
in section "Additional Guidelines".

The single checkbox is also acceptable, because the two parents
are not strictly on a par, since normal changesets have only a
first parent and no second parent. The second parent *is* special.

The second parent can also be seen as the one that is "merged-in",
whereas the first parent usually forms the link back on the current
branch.